Burgh House, New End Square, London NW3 1LT
You are here
- Date:Monday, 30 May, 2016Time:2:30 pmVenue:
- Date:Monday, 25 May, 2015Time:2:30 pmVenue:
Lauderdale House, Waterlow Park, Highgate Hill, London N6 5HG
This is our traditional annual concert on the May Bank Holiday. Here we play a selection of our latest discoveries in our perpetual search for more Palm Court Greats. The Lower Gallery at Lauderdale House has excellent accoustics and looks out on some lovely gardens. With the adjacent cafe and the possiblity to have a stroll in the park before or after the concert all options are open to do something uplifting on this Bank Holiday.
- Date:Saturday, 16 May, 2015Time:7:30 pmVenue:
Shelley Theatre, Beechwood Avenue, Bournemouth, BH5 1LX
This is a concert in the newly restored theatre at the Shelley Manor. An intimate and elegant theatre which once was a private theatre at the home of Mary Shelley. The manor changed hands many times. it was turned into a school and was owned by the local autority. The restored theatre is now the jewel in the crown of the new Shelley Arts Centre, in Bournemouth.
- Date:Monday, 26 May, 2014Time:2:30 pmVenue:
Lauderdale House, Highgate Hil, London N6 5HG
- Date:Saturday, 17 May, 2014Time:4:30pmVenue:
The Old Courtroom, 118 Church Street, Brighton, BN1 1UD
This was our debut at the Brighton Fringe Festival. The concert was extremely well received and hopefully we'll be going back to Brighton in years to come.
- Date:Saturday, 12 October, 2013Time:16:00Venue:
Bonnington Hotel, 92 Southampton Row, London WC1B 4BH
This event is organised by the Robert Farnon Society but non-members are welcome to the meeting too; in any case you might like to join the society. The Farnon Society is very active in the promotion of light music and apart from organising interesting meetings they publish an informative journal. For further information look up www.rfsoc.org.uk
- Date:Saturday, 10 August, 2013Time:19:30Venue:
Lauriston Hall, 28 Lauriston Street, Edinburgh EH3 9DJ.
In 2013 there were over 2800 shows to choose from at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival; Over a thousand performances each day. This amount of competition is challenging and fringe audience sometimes struggle to get into double figures. However Aspidistra was the only group presenting Palm Court Music and the concerts were well attended. Aspidistra gave three concerts, on the 10th 11th and 12th of August.
- Date:Friday, 9 August, 2013Time:20:30Venue:
An Tobar, Tobermory Arts Centre, Argyll Terrace, PA75 6PB
At the end of a successful rehearsal week on the Isle of Mull we gave a well-attended concert with all new material in Tobermory.
- Date:Monday, 27 May, 2013Time:14:30Venue:
Lauderdale House, Highgate Hill, London N6 5HG
We are back again at Lauderdale House in Highgate. The event will take place in the lower gallery which has excellent acoustics and a pleasant outlook over the beautiful grounds.
The Middy Kenneth Alford
Ballade Pour Adéline Paul de Senneville
- Date:Saturday, 11 May, 2013Time:19:30Venue:
St Peter and St Paul Church, Clare, Suffolk, CO10 5NY
We have been invited back to Clare, Suffolk, after a well received concert two years ago. St Peter and St Paul is a lovely church with a good acoustic. Tickets (at £12.50) can be reserved in advance from pamelabgarlick [at] gmail.com and are sold on the door.
- Date:Monday, 7 May, 2012Time:14:30Venue:
Our tenth May Day Concert in London
back at Burgh House,
La Patrouillette - Victor Sumkay
Lazy Night - Eric Coates
Intermezzo Americain - Julien Closset
Lucy Long - Fred Godfrey
Herdsmaiden’s Dance - Hugo Alfvén
Moto Perpetuo - Haydn Wood
When Budapest Was Young - André Milos
The Ragtime Bassplayer - Adolf Lotter
Drifting and Dreaming - Egbert v. Alstyne, Erwin Schmidt
- Date:Monday, 7 May, 2012Time:19:00Venue:
An evening concert at Burgh House with some of the favourites of previous years
- Date:Saturday, 25 June, 2011Time:3:00 pmVenue:
Olivers Montessori Nursery
52 Belsize Square
Members of the Aspidistra Drawing Room Orchestra - Elizabeth Menezes, Camilla Cutts and Rosi Ward - will give a charity concert of 'Aspidistra Songs' in aid of the Children's Ark Project in Rwanda.
- Date:Monday, 30 May, 2011Time:2.30pmVenue:
- Location Map
- Jegermarsj - Leif Orvan
- Little Serenade - Ernest Tomlinson
- På Vestlandsk Bondestemna - Konrad Grimstad
- The Sun whose Rays - Gilbert and Sullivan
- Baseler Leckerli - Fritz Gerhardt
- Russian Romance - Rudolf Friml
- The Elephant and the Nightingale - Mario Consiglio
- Mignon Romanze (Connais-tu le Pays) - Ambroise Thomas
- Date:Friday, 1 April, 2011Time:5:30pm
Our Viola Player Zoltan Abbott is running the London Marathon in aid of the Osteoporosis Society. This is our fundraising concert to help him on his way. The programme will include numbers from our latest CD Happy Frog & Hot Canary.
Tickets available from 07830 183139
- Date:Saturday, 25 September, 2010Time:3.00pmVenue:
Church of Our Holy Redeemer
- Date:Sunday, 5 September, 2010Time:3.30pmVenue:
St Anne's Church
This concert is part of a series of recitals that take place in this lovely church through out the summer.
The concerts last 45 minutes and there is no interval but traditional cream teas are served afterwards in ‘Anne’s Pantry’ known on other days as the church hall.
On the programme, amongst others:
- Date:Monday, 23 August, 2010Time:7.30pmVenue:
The Jugendstil centre forms the perfect setting for this intimate evening concert.
- Date:Sunday, 22 August, 2010Time:3.00pmVenue:
Edvard Grieg Museum
Troldhaugen, the home of Edvard Grieg, is now a Museum with an adjacent concert hall with spectacular views over the Hardanger Fjord.
Aspidistra will play a selection of music by Grieg and by other composers inspired by Grieg.
- Date:Saturday, 21 August, 2010Time:2.15pmVenue:
This is concert to commemorate Ole Bull, Norway's most famous violinist (born 200 years ago), in the sumptuous music room of his villa on the small island of Lysøen, near Bergen.
- Ole Bull was a pioneer of introducing folk music into classical music performances
- The concert will demonstrate how folk music from different countries has shaped Salon Music since that time
- Date:Wednesday, 18 August, 2010Time:6.30pmVenue:
Hardanger Folke Museum
A programme of songs and salon music from Norway and elsewhere.
- Date:Monday, 3 May, 2010Time:2.30pmVenue:
- Girls In Grey (Charles Williams)
- Tambourin (Francois-Joseph Gossec)
- Italian Boat Song (Hermann Lõhr)
- Romances de la Neva (Barnabas Bakos)
- Dream o’ Day Jill (Edward German)
- The Goosetrot (Will Glahé)
- Musik ! Musik ! Musik ! (Peter Kreuder)
- That Lovely Weekend (Moira & Ted Heath)
- Fiddle Faddle (Leroy Anderson)
- Vilia (Franz Lehár)
- Stork’s Bills (Philipp Fahrbach Jr.)
- Date:Monday, 25 May, 2009Time:2.30pmVenue:
- Date:Sunday, 5 April, 2009Time:4.30pmVenue:
Haydn Wood might be best remembered as the composer of “Roses of Picardy” but his claim to fame is much broader.
At age 15, He entered the Royal College of Music in London where he excelled in violin, piano and composition.
He was soon known as a prodigy, 'a bright-looking little lad, all smiles and collar, who plays the fiddle as it were the easiest thing in the world, as easy as eating jam tarts' (The Musical Times, 1 January 1898).
- Date:Sunday, 7 September, 2008Time:3.30pmVenue:
St Anne's Church
Aspidistra took part in this series of weekly summer recitals organised by St Anne's on Kew Green.
- Date:Sunday, 20 July, 2008Time:1.30pmVenue:
Aspidistra performance at the Ealing annual ‘World-Music’ Festival.
Aspidistra represented Britain and showed that an interest in ‘World-Music’ already existed in the Edwardian era when a there was a great interest in music inspired by exotic cultures.
In a Persian Market and the Mikado are prime examples of this fashion.
- Date:Monday, 26 May, 2008Time:2.30pmVenue:
- Date:Sunday, 26 August, 2007Time:7.30pmVenue:
St Paul's Church
Musicians from Aspidistra joined many other musicians to form the Celebration Orchestra.
This was a big orchestra, creating a big sound for a big event.
This was the farewell concert of Ernest Tomlinson, after a long and distinguished career as composer, conductor for the BBC, and father figure of the Light Music Society.
- Date:Monday, 7 May, 2007Time:2.30pmVenue:
- Date:Wednesday, 11 October, 2006Time:8.00pmVenue:
National Liberal Club
David Lloyd George Room
The ME in this is in fact an acronym and stands for Middle East.
Music in ME supports preservation of musical heritage in the Middle East and stimulates musical exchanges with other parts of the world.
They are, for example, developing an Arab-Jewish-Palestinian Youth Orchestra, and youth choir and run a series of music camps for Jewish and Arab Children.
They hope to develop understanding between different cultural groups through sharing the joy of music.
- Date:Monday, 29 May, 2006Time:2.30pmVenue:
- Date:Monday, 30 May, 2005Time:2.30pmVenue:
- Date:Monday, 3 May, 2004Time:2.30pmVenue:
- Date:Monday, 5 May, 2003Time:2:30pmVenue: